Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Peaches N' Cream Cupcakes


One of the first things John ever cooked for me was a peaches n cream pie. I really don't think I had ever had one before then. It's sweet and creamy with the right touch of cinnamon and fluffy whipped cream. I have such great memories related to that pie because it was when we had just started dating, it was an awesome summer. I wanted to recreate some of that into a cupcake. I think I got all of the flavor components in there. Here is what I did:

1 stick butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 egg, plus 3 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups AP flour
1 can of peach pie filling (which has nothing to do with the way john makes that pie, but its the best I could come up with.)
1/2 cup milk
I whipped the butter, sugar, salt and eggs together until it was super light and fluffy- maybe 5 minutes- then added in the flour, pie filling and milk. I made sure to let my beaters break up some the of the peach slices in the filling- then scooped the batter into paper lined tins- It made 17 cupcakes and I baked them for 20 minutes at 350. Cooled on a wire rack.


To top them, I made a cinnamon, vanilla butter cream.
1/2 stick softened butter
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
tbsp vanilla extract
tbsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 tbsp milk
I piped the whipped frosting onto the cakes and then made a small amount of crumb topping- 1/2 cups rolled oats, 3 tbsp soft butter, 4 tbsp dark brown sugar, pinch of cinnamon- I mixed the ingredients together with a fork and made 1/2 tsp sized balls of the mixture and placed it on top of the icing - then I placed a slice of peach on each one as well. I used canned, but if they are in season, fresh would be even better! 


No comments:

Post a Comment