Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting and Chocolate Chips

I have been SOOO off my cupcake game lately. I haven't been baking and there are two reasons for that. okay three. One, it's summer and we've had some gorgeous days and I've been outside and not near my oven. Two- I'm getting married in November (AHHH SO EXCITED) and I need to not be eating cupcakes, not to mention, my time is constrained with all the planning. And finally, three, I'm plain lazy and have not felt like baking. However, I have baked a few times and not written about it b/c I did not take pictures. I have one post to come after this one about a cake I did though. Today I baked cupcakes for Charlotte's great grandparents and there weekend guests. I thought I'd just stay simple and due chocolate and vanilla. So here goes:


1 1/2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp each of baking powder and baking soda
tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup AP flour/1 cup cake flour
1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips melted
3 eggs
I beat every thing together and baked them for 15 minutes at 350. They made 2 dozen cakes. I don't know if it was the weather or what, but they fell and did not stay round. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but that happens a lot to me lately and I have to look up how to stop that. Anyway, once you cover it with icing you can't really tell.

To make the frosting, i took 2 tbsp soft butter, 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, 1 1/2 tbsp clear vanilla extract, 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, and 1/2 cup heavy cream. I frosted the cooled cupcakes and then topped them with chocolate chips. Voila- very simple, but delicious, cupcakes. MMMM

No comments:

Post a Comment