Saturday, May 7, 2011

Fig Cupcakes with Prosciutto Chips







I have been dying to make these cupcakes for weeks. I had the flavor idea a while back and I just had a hard time finding fig preserves. I did eventually find what I was looking for so today I decided to try them out. First off, I know they sound totally weird- I mean, it's meat...on a cupcake. I wanted to play to my love of sweet and salty combined though. I also love prosciutto wrapped figs so it didn't seem that weird to me.  I did a basic vanilla cupcake and added in the fig flavor. 
1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
tbsp honey
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups milk
heaping 1/2 cup of fig preserves
I beat everything together and added the preserve at the end. The batter made 19 cupcakes . I baked them at 350 for 17 minutes.


For the icing, I beat together 1/2 stick of butter,2/3 cup vegetable shortening, a little over 1/2 cup heavy cream, 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp honey and 1 tbsp of the fig preserve. Its a pretty thick icing- I also used a wide tip to pipe the icing on b/c the preserves have some chunks of fig in them and I didn't want them to get stuck. 
I took 5 very, very thin slices of prosciutto and baked them on a sheet pan at 350 for about 3 minutes I wanted them to get crispy so I could crumble them. Then I thinly sliced 4 dried figs up and used the prosciutto and dried figs on top of the icing for garnish. These cupcakes are unbelievable! It's going to be hard for me to have just one. I may have to cheat a little and not give ALL of them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment