Monday, April 4, 2011

Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake with Citrus Cream


Normally I don't care much for lemon flavored food. That goes for both sweet and savory. I had a pound cake recipe though and I also has some fresh lemon and grapefruit so i thought I'd try it out and see how it was. John and I both agreed that it's not our favorite but for those who liked lemon, it was a hit. John always brings my cupcakes into work for the guys. It's pretty great having some extra taste testers! I think for me though the cream was my favorite part of these. Here's what I did:
for the cakes: 
1/2 cup butter softened
3 eggs
heaping 1/2 cup of ricotta
1 1/2 cups of AP flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tsp lemon juice
Beat butter until all creamy then add in sugar, vanilla, then the eggs. beat until fluffy then add in ricotta and the rest of your dry ingredients. Add the lemon juice last. Beat until all is combined then pour into cupcake tins. This should make 18 cakes. Bake @ 325 for 32 minutes


For the citrus cream I beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream and 3/4 cups powdered sugar and then added in 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tsp grapefruit juice. I also use non flavored gelatin to stabilize my whipped cream so that it doesn't run. (dissolve 1 pkg into 3 tbsp cold water. put over low heat in a pot until dissolved, cool slightly before beating into cream). I topped the cakes with the whipped cream and then zested the grapefruit for some added zing! Even though this was a pound cake, the citrus made it light and refreshing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment