Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chocolate Chili with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

Holy Shit! It's pretty much all I can say to describe these. I think they are my most favorite flavor that I've made so far. It may sound weird but anyone who has ever tried chocolate with some form of heat, as in spice, before will like these. Here is what I did: I used a basic chocolate cake recipe and tweaked it.
3/4 cup softened butter
3 eggs
2 cups AP flour
1 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups milk * steeped with 1 tbsp dried chipotle peppers
2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 tbsp chili powder
I put the tbsp of dried chilis into the milk and allowed the oils to steep into it. Mix all the dry ingredients together except the sugar, in a separate bowl. Beat the butter for 30 seconds and then add in sugar, vanilla, eggs- whip all together till fluffy. alternate the milk which has been strained (u dont want the actually chilis in the cupcake) with the flour and mix until fully combined. Pour into cupcake tins. This recipe made about 21 cupcakes.

I wasn't sure what kind of  icing I wanted for these and even though cream cheese frosting isn't my number one fave, I thought it'd go well with the chili flavor.- I beat 1 8 oz pkg of cream cheese with 3/4 stick of unsalted butter. After that was nice and cream i added in 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar. Now, go slow with the sugar b/c you may want to alter how sweet this frosting gets. 
After I piped the icing on, I put a single red pepper flake on top and then shaved some dark chocolate on top.
These were delicious, at least I thought so. You can taste the chili but they are not SPICY. You aren't gonna sweat from eating them so even if you don't like spice, try these. The flavors go so well together! I'm super excited for summer time when our peppers really start growing and then i can play with different levels of heat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment