Saturday, April 30, 2011

Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes with Sea Salt

Tomorrow we are having a big BBQ at the house. Of course I'm making cupcakes for the party, but I wanted to do the chocolate ones today because the ones I am making tomorrow are going to be more time consuming, you'll see. (I'm hoping they come out as planned...) I made a Chocolate espresso cupcake topped with a dark chocolate ganache (that I had already made from my sundae cupcakes) and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt. 
For the cake:
I melted two ounces (2 squares) of unsweetened chocolate over a double boiler
1 1/2 sticks of butter, softened
3 tbsp instant espresso powder
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of AP flour
1 tsp each of baking powder and soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups milk
I whipped the butter, sugar, and espresso powder together, then added the eggs and slightly cooled chocolate. I added the vanilla, salt baking powder and soda. Then I alternated the milk, flour, and cocoa. Beat everything till well blended. I baked them at 350 for 16 minutes.
For the ganache- Melt 4 ounces dark chocolate with 4 ounces warmed heavy cream. Whisk till melted and smooth. 
If you have it left over, like I did, all you do is cover it, keep it in the fridge. When you are ready to use it again, just put back over a double boiler and stir till fully melted.
I dipped the cooled cakes into the bowl of ganache until tops were covered. Let them stand for an hour so the chocolate sets and then I topped with a little coarse sea salt! Super yummy cupcakes! 







No comments:

Post a Comment