Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bananas Foster Cupcakes



I love bananas. They are so awesome for you and they have so much flavor. I always have them in my house and every once in a while there will be one or two that get a little brown or soft and are better suited for baking. Banana bread is definitely a favorite but I also really love bananas foster. The brown butter sauce and rum all sauteed up with bananas and maybe some vanilla ice cream, is def a winner. This afternoon I decided to pull those flavors into a cupcake. Here is what I did:
2 bananas sliced up, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 stick of butter, pinch of cinnamon, pinch of salt and 4 tbsp of Captain Morgans Spiced Rum- I melted the better and sugar together in the pan and added in the bananas, salt and cinnamon, cook for about 4 minutes and then added in rum- stand back, it may flame up. Cook additional minute or so. Set aside in a bowl to cool.


1 1/2 stick butter, softened
1 1/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs (in this case it may have been 2 1/2 eggs b/c Charlotte was helping mix and she sorta spilled some egg, oh oops)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups AP flour 
1 cup milk
I beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking powder- then I quick beat the banana mixture i had set aside until it was smooth. Alternated that mixture with the flour until fully combined and then slowly added the milk. I used the whole cup but you may want to use more or less depending on how much you get from your banana mixture depending on size of the bananas- i didn't want the batter to thick.  I poured the batter with my ice cream scooper into the tins- his made 20 cakes.
Bake at 350 for 17 minutes and cool.
They come out like mini banana breads almost, but not too sweet and you can still taste that bit of rum. To frost them I went with a new whipped cream topping i'm trying out. 
2/3 cups vegetable shortening
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp banana extract
3 cups powdered sugar- to taste, go a sweet or not sweet as you like
This came out so light and fluffy! I love it! I do think these would be awesome if they were filled with caramel or some of the sauce the bananas are cooked in- I will try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment